The assertion that an image depicts an elderly worker trapped in an Adani-owned tunnel is false

Claim

What is the benefit of reaching the moon? If you can’t reach the workers stuck in the tunnel for 15 days? The tunnel that collapsed in Uttrakhand with 41 people trapped inside was built by Navayuga Ltd owned By Gautam Adani which he acquired in 2020 Why Modi didn’t visit?

X Link | Archive Link

Rating

Explanation

Earlier on 12 November, the laborers got trapped as portions of the Silkyara-Dandalgaon under-construction tunnel on the Brahmkhal-Yamunotri highway collapsed following a landslide at around 5.30 am on the day of Diwali. Rescue efforts are launched by the district administration and arrangements are made to supply oxygen, electricity, and eatables to the trapped laborers through air-compressed pipes.

In this case, we see many images circulating on social media linking it with the Uttrakhand tunnel incident. Here the shared post along with the image of an old helpless worker mentions that he has been stuck there for the past 15 days. The user also claimed that the tunnel was built by Navayuga Ltd owned by Gautam Adani which he acquired in 2020. Similar claims can be seen here and here.

What’s the truth?

While analyzing the viral image using the simple Google reverse image process, we found out that the image in circulation is old. The photograph has been doing rounds on the internet since 2019. A user namely Rafeeque Khan shared the same picture to the Quora post. This confirms that the image is old and has no connection to the recent tunnel collapse incident in Uttrakhand. However, the source of the image could not be determined despite efforts.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the first phase of Char Dham Expressway in December 2022. Currently, the ongoing phase of the highway project focuses on the construction of the Silkyara tunnel.

Therefore, as mentioned in the news reports, it is worth noting that an FIR has been registered against the contractors Navayuga Engineering Company Limited and VSL Pvt Limited.

Initially, the Navayuga company was headquartered in Hyderabad. In July 2020, the acquisition of a 75% stake in Andhra Pradesh’s Krishnapatnam Port from Navayuga by Adani Ports and Special Economic Zones was approved by the Competition Commission of India, which operates under the Union Finance Ministry. The remaining 25% stake was subsequently allocated to Adani in 2021.

In addition to this, in the past year 2020, Adani Group of Enterprises has partnered with Navayuga Engineering for six projects, including the Vijayawada Bypass Project. But apart from this, they are not running together with other programs including the highway where the tunnel was collapsed.

Moreover, the Adani group has also clarified these viral claims on its X post shared on 27 November. According to the media statement, they made clear that the attempts to link them to the unfortunate collapse of a tunnel in Uttarakhand are highly condemnable. They have also added that Adani Group or any of its subsidiaries has no direct or indirect involvement of any kind in the tunnel’s construction.

The information provided above establishes the falsehood of the viral claim suggesting the presence of an elderly man trapped in the Uttarakhand tunnel collapse. Additionally, the statement from the Adani group in the media verifies their lack of involvement in the construction of the tunnel, contradicting the aforementioned claims.

Conclusion:

Thus, we conclude that the viral claims accompanied by an image of an elderly man are old and misleading. Also, the Adani group has issued a media statement explicitly denying any involvement in the construction of the tunnel.

Please complete the required fields.




Back to top button